That concludes our live updates for today. Thanks for following and check back tomorrow for the latest.
Yani Johanson has stayed inside the cordon following Tuesday's magnitude 6.3 quake after his building was given the green light by inspectors. About a quarter of those in his building have also stayed on.
"I'm very disappointed by the lack of communication between the residents and the authorities. After September's quake I said we needed a leaflet drop so people know what's going on. I've offered to do that myself but I can't print them without help so that hasn't happened," Mr Johanson told NZPA.
Mr Johanson questioned why the curfew began at 6.30pm when it didn't get dark until three hours after that. He also said he had been trying to get authorities to put portaloos inside the cordon but that hadn't happened yet.
"We don't have backyards which we can use so we have few options with our waste and I haven't seen any portaloos around. It is especially hard since we can't leave the cordon after 6.30pm."
NZ police officers are working alongside members of the Australian police contingent, Defence and Fire personnel and Maori Wardens. They are patrolling the streets, checking on people and providing advice and support, says Canterbury District Commander, Superintendent Dave Cliff.
Despite concerns and anger around reports of looting, only four burglaries were reported last night.
Superintendent Dave Cliff was yesterday presented with a tewhatewha -- a traditional Maori weapon which signifies authority, strategy and mobilisation.
Bay of Plenty District Commander Superintendent Glenn Dunbier had asked master carvers in Rotorua to select a "gift of significance" for Mr Cliff, who said it had made him proud.
The 80 soldiers from the four North Island Territorial units will swap their trenching tools for larger shovels and wheelbarrows as they work with residents to clear sediment from streets and properties.
They will be adding to the 164 South Island territorial soldiers already at Burnham who have changed their civilian clothes for a uniform and are assisting with the CBD cordon and security
Prime Minister John Key says an increase is needed so the fund can be built up faster.
Prior to the September earthquake, the Earthquake Commission had $6.4 billion in its fund.
John Key says if the levy isn't increased, it will take until 2025 to get it back to $6b.
He says people can expect the levy to double or triple, from around $60 per household now, to between $120 and $180.
Rescue workers are continuing to work on stabilising the church, so bodies can be removed.
Superintendent Dave Cliff said two Australian officers today arrested a man attempting to access a cordoned area by impersonating an official.
Nelson Tasman Civil Defence staff had been working all weekend to gather information and provide assistance to those arriving, Roger Ball, of Nelson Tasman Emergency Management, said.
"It is difficult to gauge the number of arrivals, however, anecdotal estimates have people arriving from Christchurch over the weekend numbering many hundreds," Mr Ball said.
Most of Christchurch has had power restored but lines company Orion says 30,000 customers remain without it.
Most of those yet to be connected are in the eastern suburbs or the central business district.
Orion, in its latest report late this afternoon, said the company hoped to have power restored to 84 percent of customers by the end of the day.
Earlier today, chief executive officer Roger Sutton announced what he called an "ambitious target" of 95 percent of customers to be reconnected within the next seven days - excluding customers who could not be connected because of property damage, and also the parts of the CBD still off limits.
In Canterbury District Health Board's (CDHB) latest update people were advised to boil water and follow basic hygiene measures amid concerns there could be outbreaks of gastroenteritis and other illnesses.
Christchurch Hospital was coping with the increased demand and as of this afternoon there were 309 patients in the hospital, including 15 in the intensive care unit.
Orthopaedic services, neonatal intensive care and services all remained busy at the hospital.
"This is a time for finding out the exact extent of what has happened, and it's admirable to see how people are helping out," Sir Anand said.
"It's really heartening to see the response and the professionalism that is being applied in the interests of those so gravely affected by the earthquake."
Sir Anand said Government House received messages of support almost immediately following the quake.
"The Queen, Prince Charles, other members of the royal family and a great many heads of states from many countries far and near." - NZPA
Bewley, Hayden Roulston, Jesse Sergent, Westley Gough, Marc Ryan and Pete Latham have all signed the sshirt and it is being auction on TradeMe.
The auction closes on Saturday and the highest bid so far is 2,010. All proceeds will go to Red Cross for the Christchurch Earthquake appeal.
He says it was his first cry since the city was rocked by Tuesday's devastating quake and the cry was "a good thing for me."
"We're all going through it and we're all trying to do what we need to do and that's exactly what we should be doing."
The iconic Christchurch Cathedral, which many consider the heart of the city, was badly damaged in the earthquake and there are bodies under the rubble that are still to be recovered.
Rescue workers have been working on stabilising the church, so those bodies can be removed.
Peter Beck says this will probably happen sometime today. (Newstalk ZB)
80 people have been evacuated from Brenchley Road overnight, following fears from geotechnical engineers.
Chief Fire Officer Mark Buckley says the residents will be out of their homes indefinitely, because the risk is too great.
He says extra expertise is needed to identify what to do next.
Sam Johnson, who founded the many thousand-strong Student Volunteer Army, said there were plenty of people to help clean up eastern suburbs hit hard by liquefaction, but there wasn't enough equipment to cart the debris around.
"We're desperately short of wheelbarrows - we're having a nationwide wheelbarrow appeal for commercial-grade wheelbarrows to be donated," he told NZPA.
Aucklanders can donate wheelbarrows by dropping them off at New World stores around the city.
Army Iroquis are now delivering the hot food and non-perishables to the worst hit areas.
For more details of what and where to donate please go to http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Rangiora-Earthquake-Express/153841938005848
The council said that water was being trucked into the areas without supply.
So far 13,443 Civil Defence payments totalling $2,212,825 have been made.
Five Work and Income centres - in Ashburton, Hornby, Rangiora, Kaiapoi and Riccarton - are open till 4pm today to support anyone who needs emergency financial support.
Residents are recommended to change their voicemail message to let callers know the time, date and your location and, if possible, alternate contact details to provide some reassurance should mobile phone batteries go flat given the difficulties with power supply.
Telecom customers with friends or family with a prepaid Telecom mobile can call 0800 32 32 32 and top up their prepaid credit on their behalf.
Around 36,000 customers are still without power, mainly in eastern suburbs and CBD.
Five generators have been connected to bring power to some 1150 customers in parts of New Brighton and Cashmere.
Those reconnected are asked to conserve electricity as the power network remains fragile.
People leaving their homes, or who do not have power reconnected yet, are asked to turn their power off at the mains, unplug all appliances and ensure the stove is turned off. This reduces the risk of fire when the power is restored.
"I'm a great optimist. I will not stop hoping that we will find people alive in the damaged structures in the city until I am told there can't be more survivors."
Superintendent Dave Cliff said the judiciary are taking a "firm line" against offenders during the state of emergency.
He confirmed that no more people were rescued overnight. Five more fires were started, some caused by people turning their power back on.
Mr Baxter said searches at the CTV building and the Pine Gould Corporation building are "progressing well" with an international team working through the rubble.
There was slow progress at the cathedral with some debris moved overnight, but falling masonry is a concern.
"It is important to understand some victims suffered horrendous injuries and identification is very difficult."
He hoped to release the name of at least one more victim today.
He also said police are wearing a huia feather on their uniforms today to signify the death of a colleague.
He said that although it is a Sunday the operation is "just as intense ... just as committed".
"Our thoughts are with the families of those that have been identified as deceased and those still missing.
"It's a day of everybody reaching out...we need to keep our spirits up".
St John received a text on Friday reading, "Help me, I'm alive. I am trapped inside the CTV building. Please come fast I can't breathe."
Police and Urban Search and Rescue teams were called, but they later found the cry for help to be a fraud.
The homes affected were in Bridle Path Road, La Costa Lane, Maffeys Road and McCormacks Bay Road.
The school, based on the third floor of the collapsed Canterbury Television building in the CBD, said that nine staff and 52 students remained unaccounted for.
They included students from Japan, China, Philippines, Thailand, Korea and the Czech Republic.
Arrests were also made for drink driving and domestic violence, Newstalk ZB reports.
Police commander Superintendent Russell Gibson says while there are hundreds of people helping, there are still criminal elements trying to take advantage of the situation.
Organiser Louie Brown said although it is a "youth-led organisation" all walks off life are involved.
Mr Brown said current volunteers will need time out, so more volunteers will be needed in coming days to fill in.
He said reports of people impersonating officials was "very saddening", and SVA workers now have green t-shirts to identify them, however not all volunteers have the shirts so he advises residents to use their discretion.
To register to volunteer or to ask for assistance go to http://www.sva.org.nz/ or text 02108236359.
For more information please see: http://www.facebook.com/#!/StudentVolunteerArmy
The last aftershock was at 7.55am and measured 3.2, within 5km of Lyttelton.
NZ Lotteries' Chief Executive Todd McLeay hopes that well over $5 million can be raised through this special draw. "Hopefully, we will raise a lot more than that."
Mr McLeay said while many people have suggested that NZ Lotteries donates the Powerball jackpot directly to earthquake relief, this was not possible.
"We cannot change the rules of the game for the many New Zealanders who have already purchased tickets for future draws, this would be unfair. In addition, the Lotto game is governed by a strict set of legal rules that set out how the prize pool is allocated and distributed."
They will visit the Emergency Operations Centre at the Christchurch Art Gallery about 1.30pm, before inspecting parts of the city with Mayor Bob Parker and Minister of Conservation Kate Wilkinson.
They will meet some of the USAR teams and will conclude their visit with a call on the Australian Medical Assistance Team based at Cowles Stadium, about 4.15pm.
While the eight schools inside the cordons and others in the city are remaining closed, most in the Selwyn and Waimakariri districts will open.
He then admitted looting a nearby bar. He allegedly stole two bottles of alcohol and a bottle of water. The man is in custody and facing charges.
Two people were also arrested for drink driving near the police cordons in the central city.
"It's very difficult to find the right words at a time like this," said Glenn in a statement. "The people of Canterbury particularly but all New Zealanders are enduring so much right now. I feel very far away but rest assured my love, prayers and thoughts are with you all."
Mr Glenn says he was motivated to give because he is a New Zealander and he wanted to help in some small way.
There are still 55,000 without water and 75,000 don't have sewerage.
The difficult work, to be carried out by a contractor, would allow search and rescue operations to start around the building.
Around 1500 New Zealanders are expected to attend the March 2 vigil a 7pm, London time.
Twenty-three properties in Bridle Path Road, La Costa Lane, Maffeys Road and McCormacks Bay Road were evacuated due to falling rocks.
If you want to know how you can help, check here, or for a handy reference of operational services and places to get help, check our What you need to know page.
- NZ HERALD STAFF
That concludes our live updates for today. Thanks for following and check back tomorrow for the latest.