The man police accuse of murdering two people at a multi-million dollar Auckland mansion last month says he acted in self defence and "emphatically denies" murder charges, his lawyer says.

Unemployed Chinese national Cheng-Qi Wang reappeared in Auckland District Court this morning, his third appearance since he was charged with the murders of Zhuo "Michael" Wu, 44, and Yishan "Tom" Zhong, 53, on January 14.

Defence counsel David Jones, QC, said Wang "emphatically denies the charges and will defend them".

"The two men who died came to his home and his position is that they attacked him and he acted in self defence."

One of the bodies was found on the driveway of the three-level, $2 million-plus mansion on Stilwell Rd, Mt Albert, where Wang lived, while the other dead man was reportedly inside the house.

The men are understood to have died of stab wounds and police said they found two weapons inside the house.

Mr Jones asked that media applications to take photographs of the accused be turned down.

"Mr Wang is concerned that he is in custody and is looking a little unkempt."

"Is that it?" asked Judge Philippa Cunningham, who granted the applications.

An application for bail was expected to be made today, but because it was opposed at the last minute there was not sufficient time for it to be adequately lodged, replied Mr Jones.

Judge Cunningham further remanded Wang in custody until next Monday when the application could be heard.

- NZPA