Police have named the two Auckland men who died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning after they took a charcoal barbecue into their holiday cabin to keep warm.
The bodies of Derek Hamilton, 50, and Martin Van Rensburg, 37, both South African-born, were found in their beds in the Ruapuke Motor Camp, 20km south of Raglan, on Sunday morning.
A third man, Jayson Basson, 33, of Hamilton, was found in a delirious state on the floor of the cabin and is now in a stable condition at Auckland's North Shore Hospital.
Preliminary autopsy results showed the men died from carbon monoxide poisoning . Police were still waiting on a toxicology report to confirm the results.
A family spokesman, Mike Van Biljon, said Mr Hamilton, who celebrated his 50th birthday last week, was a wonderful husband and a fantastic father to his two daughters, aged 16 and 20.
Mr Hamilton, who worked in procurement, was described as a fanatical sportsman and outstanding mentor with unquestionable morals and ethics .
Mr Van Biljon said Mr Van Rensburg left behind a wife who was deeply upset at his loss.
Mr Van Rensburg, who worked in management, was described as a very likeable, well balanced man in all areas of life who had an amazing calming effect on people and was very sincere.
He was passionate about all outdoor adventure and totally giving of himself.
Mr Van Biljon said the families affected by the tragedy were understandably upset by what had happened and wished their privacy to be respected to allow them to grieve.
Both men's deaths have been referred to the coroner .