The incident involved a group of youths allegedly attacking another youth on February 9.
The victim was reportedly targeted for wearing a red hat.
In a statement today, police said an 18-year-oldman was arrested on Monday, February 16, and has been remanded in custody ahead of his next appearance in the Whakatāne District Court on March 12.
“Two further men, aged 20 and 36, were arrested yesterday, and will appear in the Whakatāne District Court today.”
Police said a fourth person, a 30-year-old man, will appear in Whakatāne District Court tomorrow.
All four have been charged with aggravated robbery.
Whakatāne Senior Sergeant Cam Mackinnon previously told the Whakatāne Beacon that the attack highlighted a need for police in the central business district.