Fireworks are due to go on sale from tomorrow until Wednesday and Guy Fawkes revellers are urged to be responsible and respectful when using them, Environment Minister Nick Smith says.
"We want people to enjoy their fireworks but this relies on users carefully following instructions, ensuring children are properly supervised and being conscious of neighbours and animals."
Fireworks regulations tightened in 2008 resulting in reducing the period of sale to four days, increasing the age of purchase from 14 to 18, and restricting the power and size of retail packages.
Those restrictions had been successful in bringing down the number of fireworks related injuries and fire incidents, Dr Smith said.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
"The downward trend over the past six years in injuries and fires from the use of fireworks is encouraging.
"However, any significant increase would trigger a revision and the consideration of tighter regulations," he said.
By the numbers
• ACC claims for injuries had reduced from 548 in 2007, to 432 in 2013;
• Fire Service calls over and above the daily average had reduced from 618 in 2007, to 418 in 2013;
• Fires with fireworks as the source of ignition had reduced from 265 in 2007, to 187 in 2013;
• Hospital admission for fireworks related injuries had reduced from 13 in 2007, to seven in 2012 (being the latest data).