A woman who has endured two weeks in managed isolation at an Auckland hotel now fears being detained even longer after a confirmed Covid case sent the facility into lockdown.
The 21-year-old told the Herald she was struggling to get information from authorities and felt like she was being held "hostage".
The Auckland Novotel was put into lockdown on Sunday night following reports that a guest had tested positive for the virus.
The teenager - whose only symptom was a runny nose - was confirmed as one of the two new Covid-19 cases announced today by director general of health Dr Ashley Bloomfield.
She and her family, who have tested negative, had travelled to New Zealand from Islamabad via Melbourne. They have now been transferred to the Jet Park Hotel for quarantine.
The 21-year-old woman, who does not want to be named, says she has tested negative for the disease but is now unsure if she can leave the accommodation as scheduled tomorrow.
The exasperated traveller, who arrived from Los Angeles on June 9, says since news broke of the suspected Covid case she had not heard anything from management or health authorities.
To add insult to injury she had not received breakfast by 9.42am this morning. It was normally delivered to rooms between 7.30am and 9.30am.
"I have done my 14 days, I have tested negative and I am basically being held hostage with no breakfast," she told the Herald.
She said testing at the hotel had been erratic and had not taken place according to Ministry of Health schedules.
She only knew that she had tested negative after calling the Ministry of Health herself seeking results, she said.
This evening, she was still waiting for answers on when she would be allowed to leave the facility.
Other Kiwis under lockdown at the hotel who have also tested negative for Covid-19 say they are becoming increasingly paranoid that they will become infected - and they're desperate to leave.
A second woman in isolation at the Novotel has written a desperate email to NZME pleading to be allowed out after spending the mandatory two weeks in self-isolation and testing negative.
She was due to leave today until the hotel went into lockdown at the weekend.
The traveller, who does not want to be named, fears the longer she is kept at the site, the more she risks falling ill.
"I've been here two weeks, followed all the rules and had a negative coronavirus test.
"Yet I'm not allowed to leave the hotel. It's not fair or humane. They're potentially exposing us to more germs by making us stay here," she wrote.
Other returning Kiwis in Auckland quarantine facilities claim social distancing rules continue to be ignored, with some staff seen getting too close to guests on daily walks.
A third woman under mandatory isolation at the Novotel, who only wanted to be known as JT, said obvious social distancing rules were being flouted, including staff breaching the two metre spacing during exercise sessions.
"To put it plainly, the staff here have terrible communication not only to the guests but between themselves and are clearly not adhering to official standards of distancing and testing."
Last week New Zealand's stellar 24-day run of zero cases came to an abrupt end, with seven new cases all from managed quarantine facilities. This week has kicked off with a further two more in managed quarantine facilities testing positive for Covid-19.
There are currently 4272 people in quarantine with more than 20,000 people passing through facilities in recent months.