A chain of central Auckland convenience stores sold unsafe travel plug adaptors despite repeated warnings.
Dtown and Zolo Limited, trading as City Star Convenience Stores and Britomart Magazine, were fined a total of $80,000 at the Auckland District Court on Tuesday.
The companies had been unable to say how many adaptors they had sold through their chain of 15 stores.
Worksafe New Zealand said the adaptors didn't have adequate protection to prevent contact with live parts, leading to a risk of fire and electrocution.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
"The adaptors are of particular concern given that plugs are used at skirting board level and easily accessible by infants and young children," said Energy Safety Compliance Officer Richard Lamb.
"These adaptors are simply not safe to use. Given the location of these stores in the heart of Auckland near hotels, hostels and transport hubs it is likely these adaptors would have been purchased by visitors, and could have spread around New Zealand and beyond." Energy Safety has become concerned at the number of unsafe travel plug adaptors being sold.
"Any business looking to sell electrical goods must abide by the law and the regulations. They should only stock safe goods," said Mr Lamb.
"Retailers must understand that they will face the full consequences if anyone is hurt because of faulty goods that they have supplied. This fine serves as a stark reminder that the consequences of ignoring the rules can be very costly."