Auckland Council looks set to reduce the number of sites requiring owners to seek iwi approval for work on their land.
Councillors will vote on Thursday to remove 1373 of the 3600 sites of value from the proposed Unitary Plan, or new planning rulebook for the Super City.
The requirement to obtain a "cultural impact assessment" has been controversial, with an organisation, Democracy Action, formed last year to oppose the new rule.
Property magnate Sir Bob Jones slammed the rule after his company had to contact 13 iwi before it could remove an 11m concrete block wall and a window and replace it with a glass frontage for a ground-floor restaurant.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
One iwi, Ngai Tai Ki Tamaki, said permission was not required for the work, but asked Robt Jones Holdings to consider it because their ancestors, centuries ago, gathered in the vicinity in the area, Sir Bob said.
A report for Thursday's Auckland development committee said a desktop archaeology data audit and an assessment by mana whenua found that 1373 sites of value had insufficient information to support their retention.
The report said there was some urgency on council's part to consider removing the sites from the proposed Unitary Plan given the rules came into effect in September 2013.
Democracy Action spokesman Lee Short said the 3600 sites of value had not gone through a rigid process, nor did they have the support of the Archaeological Association.
He welcomed the recommendation by officers to remove 1373 sites, but said more work was needed to assess the remaining 2227 sites.