¾ cup cream
¼ cup milk
4-5 Zesty Green Tea Bags
zest of 1 lemon
2 cups flour
3-4 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar
1 egg, lightly whisked
1 Tbsp melted butter
juice of 1 lemon
pinch of sea salt
1. In a small saucepan heat milk and cream till just before boiling point, remove from heat and add tea bags. Infuse the tea bags for no less than 3 minutes. The longer you infuse the tea the stronger the flavour.
2. Remove tea bags and allow cream to cool.
3. Preheat oven to 220ºC. Lightly flour a baking tray.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
4. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and mix well with lemon zest and sugar. Add egg, butter, lemon juice and cream to flour and mix with a knife. Gently knead dough three times.
5. Divide mix into 9-12 portions then pat each portion into a scone shape and bake 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Check scones are baked by poking one with a toothpick; if it comes out clean it's ready. My favourite topping is strawberry jam with cream.