The father-son relationship between Prince Philip and his first-born, Prince Charles, has faced a lifetime of strain, but following Philip's death, a source has revealed the pair recently found "much common ground".
After becoming fully aware he was unlikely to recover after weeks in hospital, a 99-year-old Philip asked to see Charles.
They then engaged in a heart-to-heart that would go on to mark a much-changed relationship between father and son.
In an emotional bedside conversation, the duke advised Charles on caring for the Queen when he was gone, and on how Charles should lead the royal family through the years ahead.
He also wished to die inside the walls of Windsor Castle.
Royal author Robert Jobson said the pair "found much common ground in the past few months" after a life of highly publicised disputes, including environmental issues such as organic farming.
Jobson said that Philip also "advised Prince Charles on caring for the Queen when he was gone" and shared his personal opinion on how Charles should lead the royal family through what could be a bumpy period ahead, the Daily Mail reported.
"They have always loved one another – that was never in question. But there was a deeper respect and it was growing," a source close to the Royal family told the media.
"They shared common ground on the future direction of the monarchy, on religious issues – even on the environment. They both believed in inter-faith dialogue and that talking openly and honestly can only help strengthen communities and understanding.
"A father and son who loved each other and enjoyed a relationship of mutual respect and affection.
"Over the last year of Philip's life, they were the closest that they've ever been."
Following his father's death, Charles said he misses him "enormously" and that the duke would be "so deeply touched" by the outpouring of grief.
"I particularly wanted to say that my father, for the last 70 years, has given the most remarkable, devoted service to the Queen, to my family and to the country, but also to the whole of the Commonwealth," Prince Charles told ITV in a video statement from Highgrove, Gloucestershire.
"As you can imagine, my family and I miss my father enormously.
"He was a much loved and appreciated figure and apart from anything else, I can imagine, he would be so deeply touched by the number of other people here and elsewhere around the world and the Commonwealth, who also I think, share our loss and our sorrow.
"My dear Papa was a very special person who I think above all else would have been amazed by the reaction and the touching things that have been said about him and from that point of view we are, my family, deeply grateful for all that.
"It will sustain us in this particular loss and at this particularly sad time. Thank you."
A ceremonial royal funeral will take place on April 17 at St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle, where the intimate service will be attended by 30 family and close friends.
Prince Harry will make the trip from the US, to the UK to be with his family for the ceremony, but wife Meghan will remain at their Californian home.
The Palace confirmed in a statement that the Duchess of Sussex, who is pregnant with her and Harry's second child, was "advised not to travel" by her doctor.
And instead, Harry will make the trip alone where he will follow Covid-19 protocols for the journey, as well as during his visit.
A source close to Meghan reportedly said she made "every effort" to go.
"The duchess has made every effort to travel alongside the duke, but unfortunately, she did not receive medical clearance from her physician," they told royal journalist Omid Scobie.
It will also be the first time Harry sees his family in person, following his and Meghan's bombshell interview with Oprah, where they accused the royal family of racism.