Six months after detangling their work lives from the British royal family, Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, have signed a multi-year deal to produce nature series, documentaries and children's programming for the streaming service, according to a statement on Wednesday.
The two, who recently relocated to Santa Barbara, California, plan to focus on stories and issues that elevate diverse voices and other issues close to their hearts.
Several projects are already in development, including a nature docu-series and a series focused on women who inspire.
"Our lives, both independent of each other and as a couple, have allowed us to understand the power of the human spirit: of courage, resilience, and the need for connection," the pair said in the joint statement.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
"Through our work with diverse communities and their environments, to shining a light on people and causes around the world, our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope."
The couple also pledged to promote diversity behind the camera as their production company gets off the ground.
The value of the deal was not disclosed, but it marks the couple's biggest step so far to engage in paid work in their new lives.
Meghan has said she will not return to acting. She has done some voice work since the couple left the UK with baby Archie in search of their financial independence.
The prince worked closely with the filmmakers of the documentary Rising Phoenix, in which he also appears. It premiered last week on Netflix.
Ted Sarandos, co-CEO and chief content officer for Netflix, said in the statement that Meghan and Harry had "inspired millions of people all around the world with their authenticity, optimism and leadership".
He said the company was proud they had made Netflix their creative home and looked forward to "telling stories with them that can help build resilience and increase understanding for audiences everywhere".