WARNING – GRAPHIC PHOTOS

Australian parents have shared their horror story after their toddler was mauled by their family dog.

Logan Grieve, 2, was playing in the backyard of the family home in Northern Territory when his parents heard a scream from outside.

The boy's mother, Shannon Coutts, told Yahoo 7 that she discovered her son covered in blood from head to waist.

Advertisement

"I was watering the garden and Logan ducked around the corner," she said.

"I tried to follow him but when he came back we thought he'd split his head open.

"We hit emergency mode."

Logan's parents rushed him to Katherine District Hospital, then an emergency helicopter transported him to the Royal Darwin Hospital.

The parents realised after the blood was cleaned off their son's body that he had been attacked by their family dog Jax, a 9-year-old Bull Mastiff cross.

Shocking photos show the horrific injured Logan suffered including a 22cm gash to the top of his head and extensive damage to his right eye.

A GoFundMe page made for Logan and his recovery reveals the nightmare the parents went through.

The toddler was transported from Katherine District Hospital to Royal Darwin Hospital for surgery. Photo / GoFundMe, Shannon Coutts
The toddler was transported from Katherine District Hospital to Royal Darwin Hospital for surgery. Photo / GoFundMe, Shannon Coutts

"After a CT scan you could tell he suffered a compound fracture to his eye socket and a fracture to the top of his skull," she said.

"We thought he'd lose his eye. The dog's tooth went through it."

Ms Coutts was also worried her son was at risk of a brain infection because of a possible leak of cerebrospinal fluid.

"As soon as you hear anything about the brain you hit freak-out mode," she said.

"The whole hospital experience was very traumatic for us and Logan."

Logan Grieve, 2, was playing in the backyard of his family home in Katherine, Northern Territory. Photo / Shannon Coutts Facebook
Logan Grieve, 2, was playing in the backyard of his family home in Katherine, Northern Territory. Photo / Shannon Coutts Facebook

Logan went has spent more than a week in hospital after having surgery to close the wounds on October 7.

The toddler is recovering with the help of antibiotics, which he'll need to take for the next three weeks.

His mum said he had been cleared of any infection, which made him "a miracle boy".

"Logan's really, really lucky," Ms Coutts said.

"It's a bloody blessing."