A mother has warned others about peanut allergies following her daughter's death after reportedly kissing her boyfriend, who had just eaten a peanut butter sandwich.

Micheline Ducre has spoken out about the death of her daughter in Canadian newspaper Journal De Quebec. She gave the interview on Thursday, speaking about the incident which occurred in 2012 and the coroner's report from 2014.

Her daughter, Myriam Ducre-Lemay, kissed her boyfriend after he had eaten a peanut butter sandwich, after a party. He did not know of her severe allergies, but after he kissed her she started experiencing shortness of breath. She used her asthma inhaler, but to no avail. She then asked her boyfriend if he had just eaten peanuts.

When he said yes, Myriam told him to call an ambulance.


Paramedics arrived eight minutes later but she suffered cardiopulmonary arrest in the ambulance.

Doctors found Myriam had suffered severe cerebral anoxia, a form of hypoxia where the brain is completely deprived of oxygen. She passed away shortly after.

Her mother has now spoken out in the hope she can save others from her daughter's fate.

She said Myriam had just told her she was in love with her new boyfriend.

"It's the first time I saw my daughter with such bright eyes," Micheline Ducre told the newspaper.

Dr Christine McCusker, head of pediatric allergy and immunology at Montreal Children's Hospital told CTV Montreal that traces allergens, such as peanuts, can stay in a person's saliva for up to four hours after eating.

During the incident, she was not wearing a Medic Alert bracelet nor carrying her Epi-pen. Both of these could have saved her life.