Windsurfing may be an unusual school holiday activity, but Mad Loop windsurfing school owner Alan McIntosh is right into it. Even his dog does it.
His programme has been running for 15 years at Lake Pupuke, North Shore, and runs during school term time as well.
The course runs from noon to 2pm every day of the school holidays. For more details call 021 958-812.
* For children struggling to get off the trainer wheels on their bikes, Tykes on Bikes is a superb way to occupy time and learn something new in the holidays. The programme is run at Mt Eden Normal School from 9.30am to 11.30am every day for ages 4-7. For details call 0800 543-2284.
* It may differ from a Jackie Chan movie, but karate is an excellent way to get fit and have fun. It is for ages 6 and over and is run at Mt Eden Normal School from 9.30am to noon. For details call 0800 543-2284.
* The Auckland Luge is a day out for the whole family. There is a scenic track for beginners and a fast-paced track with twists and turns for the more adventurous. It is open seven days a week from 10am to 10pm and is on East Coast Road, Silverdale. For more details call 0800 773-366.
* Have your children learnt to throw or catch? Enhance their basic co-ordination and ball skills at Play Ball in Pt Chevalier Hall auditorium. It is for children aged 4 to 8 and runs for three days. For more details call 0800 543 2284.
* "Extreme" is the operative word for the Extreme Indoor Karts. Spend a day experiencing the sweeping banked curves, steep downhill and narrow underpass at on the track, which is open seven days and is at 82B Kerwyn Ave, Manukau. For track bookings call 273-5552.