Art and craft is a fashion story so often explored, and while designers have an endless appreciation of the art world as evident in the references cited within their collections, it's the more craft-focused practices that are to the fore this season.
Think traditional weaving and crochet to recyclable jewellery, of that art teacher from high school in a whimsical, homespun dress and wearing one-off jewellery accessories - unique and quietly elegant. That sense of craft and lightness has filtered through several local collections this season, the most obvious being Kate Megaw of Penny Sage who, with similarly minded creatives, has made a strong point about clothes made with a thoughtful, artisanal approach.
Eco-focused pieces such as delicate linen separates and the turmeric-dyed shirts by Sherie Muijs are some examples of simple pieces made from with natural techniques.
There's also an abundance of linen separates around this time of year. The "Trixie" top by Staple + Cloth for example has a relaxed, boxy shape and - made from 55 per cent linen and 45 per cent cotton - it's the perfect summer piece that works well with a pair of equally languid shorts or a pair of light-blue denim jeans.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
Accessories get a look-in here, with Wellington-based textile designer Marta Kartarzyna Buda's delicate, limited-edition handmade bags of woven linen, cotton and raw hemp making a beautiful addition to an outfit in a neutral palette of earthy tones. And for the statement earring-lover, the ceramic discs and pendulous marble earrings made by Zelda Murray highlight the artisan well, with no two earrings looking the same. Each piece is a special keepsake.
1. Harman Grubisa jacket, $665. Gregory shirt, $249. Wrangler flared jeans, $159.90. Miss Wilson heels, $289. Marta Buda handwoven bag, $320, from Penny Sage.
2. Penny Sage wrap dress, $410 and pants, $340. Statement necklace, $95, from the Mercantile Store. Mi Piaci loafers, $270.
3. Staple + Cloth top, $209. Isaac & Lulu short, $249. Penny Sage mules, $390. Zelda Murray pendulum earrings, $480.
4. Gregory dress with self-tie belt, $329. Kate Sylvester heels, $565. Dark wooden bangle, $69, from The Mercantile Store.
5. Sherie Muijs top, $255. Wrangler skirt, $129.90. Proenza Schouler leather espadrilles, $589, from Workshop. Zelda Murray pendulum earrings, $480, from Penny Sage.
• Gregory (09) 520 0614
• Harman Grubisa (09) 963 6129
• Isaac & Lulu (09) 445 3356
• Kate Sylvester (09) 307 3282
• Mi Piaci
• Miss Wilson (09) 367 6865
• Penny Sage pennysage.com
• Sherie Muijs
• Staple + Cloth (09) 360 2684
• The Mercantile Store
• Workshop (09) 303 3735