Rice paper rolls are simple to make and look so attractive. Prepare the vegetables and herbs, have a couple of dishes of sauces at the ready then quickly soak the papers until just soft, lie on a kitchen surface, let dry for a moment, fill, fold over and wrap.
|1 cup||Lettuce, finely sliced|
|8||Rice paper rounds|
|1||Carrot, finely sliced|
|½ cup||Daikon, peeled and finely sliced|
|½ cup||Spring onions, finely sliced|
|1||Red capsicum, finely sliced|
|16||Prawns, cooked and peeled|
|½ cup||Mung bean sprouts|
|¼ cup||Fresh coriander|
|¼ cup||Roasted peanuts, chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Lime juice|
|2 Tbsp||Fish sauce|
|2 Tbsp||Palm sugar, grated or crushed|
|2 Tbsp||Mint leaves, sliced|
|2 Tbsp||Thai basil leaves, or lemon basil leaves, sliced|
- Prepare a large bowl of warm water. Dip each rice pper wrapper into the water and as soon as each begins to soften, remove and lay separately on a flat surface.
- Divide the ingredients between each wrapper, placing them along the centre, leaving a 2cm space at each side.
- Fold up the bottom edge, then fold in the sides and roll firmly to enclose.
- Place on a serving platter with a bowl of the dipping sauce.
- To make the sauce, place the fish sauce, lime juice, water, sugar and chilli into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Stir until the sugar has dissolved then let cool. Add the herbs just before serving.