|400 g||Hokkien noodles, fresh (Main)|
|400 g||Prawns, raw, head and shells on (Main)|
|1 Tbsp||Vegetable oil, plus 1 Tbsp extra|
|½ Tbsp||Peanut oil|
|200 g||Bean sprouts|
|3||Shallots, finely sliced|
|3 cloves||Garlic, finely sliced|
|1 Tbsp||Lemongrass, minced|
|1 Tbsp||Lemongrass, minced (use the inner white part of the stalk)|
|1 stalk||Celery, finely sliced|
|2||Red chillies, minced|
|2 Tbsp||Garlic chives, chopped|
|1||Lemon, quartered to serve|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Put the noodles into a large bowl. Pour boiling water over then leave for 3 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- Shell the prawns but reserve the heads and shells to make a stock. Devein the prawns.
- Put the vegetable oil into a hot wok, then add the prawn heads and shells, toss until they turn red. Add 1 cup of water, bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain the stock and return to the wok.
- Drop the shelled prawns into the simmering stock and leave until they just begin to change colour. Strain again and reserve the stock.
- Heat the second measure of vegetable oil with the peanut oil in the wok. Fry the beansprouts, shallots, garlic, lemongrass and celery until soft and golden.
- Add the remaining stock, noodles and prawns. Stir fry for two minutes then serve with plenty of garlic chives and chillies - offering lemon wedges on the side.