Mustard seeds, cumin, chilli and coriander balance the sweetness of ripe apricots in this versatile chutney.
|2 tsp||Yellow mustard seeds|
|1 tsp||Coriander seeds|
|1 tsp||Cumin seeds|
|2 tsp||Chilli flakes|
|2||Red onions, quartered|
|2||Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and quartered|
|5 cm||Fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated|
|1 cup||Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar, or similar|
|1 kg||Apricot, ripe, halved, stoned and coarsely chopped (Main)|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Heat the mustard seeds in a small saucepan on low heat until they begin to pop.
- Remove and place on a piece of muslin. Add the coriander and cumin to the saucepan and heat until fragrant.
- Add to the mustard seeds together with the chilli flakes, peppercorns and star anise. Tie the spices in the muslin to form a little bag.
- Finely chop the onions and apples in a food processor.
- Place in a large saucepan. Add the ginger, vinegar and bag of spices. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add the apricots, salt, paprika and sugar. Stir well.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes, until thick.