Many of my friends bring little gifts when they come for a meal such as a posy of flowers from their garden or a little jar of pickles. So for me there’s a hint of the spirit of Christmas year round. Of course at Christmas giving is more of an occasion.
|1 ½ cups||Pistachio nuts, roasted|
|500 g||Dark chocolate, 72% cocoa (Main)|
|2 Tbsp||Sea salt, coarse|
- Line a baking tray with foil.
- To make the toffee, place the sugar and water in a large, microwave-proof glass bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir gently to dissolve the sugar. Continue microwaving for 2-3 minutes until the liquid is light golden. Remove — the toffee will continue to colour on standing.
- Whisk in the butter. Add the pistachios and stir until well coated. Transfer to the baking tray, spreading it out to separate the nuts. Cool. Break up any large clumps.
- Melt the chocolate either over hot water or in the microwave. Stir well then cool a little.
- Place about 1/4 of the toffee nuts in a bowl. Quickly stir the remainder into the melted chocolate. Pour onto the same lined baking tray. Top with the reserved nuts and sprinkle with salt. Chill until very firm.
- Break into pieces and store in layers between waxed paper.