If necessary, thin the sauce with a little water.
|1||Long red chilli, use up to 2 (Main)|
|4||Plum tomatoes (Main)|
|½ ||Red capsicums|
|75 g||Ciabatta bread, or french bread, crusts removed (Main)|
|⅓ cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 cloves||Garlic, choose large ones, halved (Main)|
|1 Tbsp||Pine nuts, toasted (Main)|
|1 Tbsp||Red wine vinegar|
|½ tsp||Smoked paprika|
|20||Asparagus spears, trimmed (Main)|
|2 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
- To make the sauce, char-grill the chillies, tomatoes and capsicum until blackened all over. Wrap in baking paper and cool.
- Peel and deseed the chillies and capsicum. Remove the core from the tomatoes. Place all three in a food processor.
- Cut the bread into chunks.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan and fry the garlic cloves until golden. Add to the food processor.
- Fry the bread cubes until golden. Cool then add to the food processor with the pine nuts, vinegar, smoked paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until chunky.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Toss the asparagus and in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 10-15 minutes until crisp-tender.
- Serve warm or at room temperature topped with the sauce.
See more of Jan's festive sides and salads