The peanuts add a salty sweetness to these special-occasion treats.
|3||Egg whites (Main)|
|1 ¼ cups||Caster sugar (Main)|
|1 tsp||White vinegar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence|
|4 Tbsp||Boiling water|
|50 g||Dark chocolate, melted (Main)|
|½ cup||Boiling water|
|2 tsp||Instant coffee, granules (Main)|
|1 Tbsp||Boiling water|
|1 cup||Cream (Main)|
|1 Tbsp||Icing sugar|
|½ cup||Honey-roasted peanuts, salted, use up to ¾ cup (Main)|
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Line one or two oven trays with baking paper. Lightly mark six, 8cm-diameter circles on the paper.
- Place the egg whites, caster sugar, cornflour, vinegar, vanilla essence and boiling water in a large bowl in the order given. Beat until stiff and shiny, about 12 minutes. Pile the meringue mixture into the circles. Swirl 1 teaspoon of the melted chocolate onto the top of each mound.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave for 1½ hours.
- Meanwhile, make the toffee. Line a tray with baking paper. Place the sugar and water in a large heatproof microwave bowl with a handle. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Carefully stir the sugar until it is dissolved. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes or until lightly golden. Slowly pour onto the paper-lined tray moving it around so it makes a thin layer. Cool and allow to set. Break into shards.
- Dissolve the coffee granules in the water. Cool.
- Whip the cream and icing sugar until thick. Fold in the coffee. Dollop on the top of the cold pavs. Sprinkle with the peanuts and stand shards of toffee on top.
More of Jan's gluten-free treats