This divine dish is based on a recipe from chef Yotam Ottolenghi. It is one of my faves. We enjoyed a glass of spicy shiraz with the lamb — it complemented the intense flavours of the marinade.
For the lamb
|1 Tbsp||Cumin seeds (Main)|
|2 tsp||Black peppercorns|
|½ tsp||Cardamom pods|
|½ tsp||Fenugreek seeds|
|5 whole||Cloves (Main)|
|1 tsp||Fennel seeds|
|1 tsp||Grated nutmeg|
|1 Tbsp||Sumac powder|
|1 Tbsp||Root ginger, grated|
|1 tsp||Flaky sea salt|
|3||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|½ cup||Chopped coriander, leaves and stems|
|¼ cup||Lemon juice|
|½ cup||Canola oil|
|1 ⅕ kgs||Lamb leg, or shank end only (Main)|
For the spicy roasted carrots
|500 g||Baby carrots, trimmed (Main)|
|1 tsp||Cumin seeds|
|1 tsp||Ground coriander|
|1 pinch||Salt and pepper|
|1 Tbsp||Pomegranate molasses|
|1 sprinkle||Sliced almonds|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
To make the lamb
- Place the cumin seeds, peppercorns, cardamom, fenugreek, cloves, star anise, cinnamon stick and fennel seeds in a heavy-based frying pan on medium heat. Heat through for 1-2 minutes until the spices are fragrant. Add the nutmeg, paprika and sumac and heat for a few seconds. Be careful not to burn the spices. Transfer to a grinder.
- Process until a powder is formed. Pour into a bowl and mix in the ginger, salt, garlic, coriander, lemon juice and oil. Mix well.
- Place the lamb in a large plastic bag. Add the marinade and move the meat around so it is evenly coated. Seal then refrigerate for 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Return the meat to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 170C. Place the lamb in an oiled roasting pan with as much of the marinade as possible. Roast for 1½hours then add a cup of hot water to the pan. Cover the lamb with foil and continue roasting for another hour or until tender. Remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Great served with spicy roasted carrots and plain yoghurt combined with chopped mint.
To make spicy roasted carrots
- Toss the carrots in a little olive oil in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with cumin seeds and coriander. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast at 180C for 25 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drizzle with a Tbsp of pomegranate molasses and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
More roast meals from Jan
The lamb in the recipe above is served with spicy roast carrots drizzled with a little pomegranate molasses. Try these other recipes which make use of that bottle in your pantry: