This fish stew is full of flavour, yet simple in its construction. I have added fresh salmon rather than using all white-fleshed fish. Bread and aioli is all you need with it or, if you are a fan of anchovies, try it with the anchovy toasts.
|1 ½ cups||Pasta, dried, I used torchiette|
|1 pinch||Saffron threads|
|2 Tbsp||Water, warm|
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Fennel bulb, tough outer leaves removed and discarded, very thinly sliced and fronds reserved and chopped|
|1||Onion, finely chopped|
|3 cloves||Garlic, finely chopped|
|1 cup||Chopped tomatoes, in juice|
|1||Orange, use 1 piece of rind|
|1 Ltr||Fish stock, well-flavoured, or more if needed|
|750 g||Fish, firm-textured, cut into large chunks that will sit easily on a soup spoon (Main)|
|1 to serve||Fresh chives|
|1 to serve||Marjoram, sweet|
|1||Lemon, cut into wedges to serve|
|115 g||Anchovy fillets, soaked in milk for 10 minutes|
|2||Shallots, very finely chopped|
|3 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 Tbsp||Red wine vinegar|
|¼ cup||Fresh parsley, chopped|
|1||Baguette, cut into slices|
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water according to the packet instructions or until al dente. Drain then quickly rinse under cold water to arrest cooking and set aside.
- Infuse the saffron in the warm water.
- Pour the olive oil into a large saucepan and add the fennel and onion. Cook over a low heat for at least 10 minutes, stirring until the onion is soft but not coloured. Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, orange rind, saffron and its liquid and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour in the fish stock and simmer until the vegetables are very tender. Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the fish pieces and cooked pasta and cook for a further 3 minutes until the fish is just cooked.
- Gently stir through some snipped chives, sweet marjoram leaves and the chopped fennel fronds.
- Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over the stew.
- Heat the grill to high. Toast baguette slices under the grill.
- Pat dry the anchovy fillets and finely chop. Add the shallots and garlic and continue to chop until they are very fine.
- Place in a bowl and add the oil, vinegar and parsley. Season with freshly ground black pepper and mix well.
- Spread on the toasted baguette slices and pop under the grill to warm.