Savoury muffins are great accompaniments for soups and salads or for mid-afternoon snacks.
|4 medium||Bacon rashers, about 100g, rindless, chopped (Main)|
|2 cups||Plain flour|
|3 tsp||Baking powder|
|½ tsp||Fennel seeds (Main)|
|1 ¼ cups||Tasty cheese, grated (Main)|
|3 Tbsp||Fennel fronds, finely chopped (Main)|
|1 large||Egg, lightly beaten|
|⅓ cup||Canola oil|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Lightly grease 8 x ½-cup muffin holes.
- Pan-fry the bacon until cooked. Cool.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, fennel seeds, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Add 1 cup of the cheese, the bacon and fennel fronds and mix well.
- Combine the egg, milk and oil in another bowl. Pour into the centre of the flour mixture and mix until just moistened.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin holes until almost full. Bake for 20 minutes. Can be topped with small fennel sprigs.