|2 cups||Plain flour|
|1 ½ tsp||Baking powder|
|⅓ cup||Caster sugar|
|⅓ cup||Glace mixed peel|
|½ cup||Currants (Main)|
|24||Blanched almonds, up to 28|
|1||Egg, lightly beaten|
|12||Glace cherries (Main)|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat oven to 220 degC. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add remaining ingredients adding enough cream to make a stiff dough.
- Take pieces of dough about the size of a small egg. Roll into balls then pat out into rounds about 1cm thick and place on baking tray.
- Brush the tops with beaten egg then top with almonds and cherries.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- They can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days or they can be frozen.
- Great served warm, with or without butter.