When making the cake, choose a large saucepan to heat the butter/fruit mixture so you can use it as a bowl when adding the flour.
|175 g||Butter, chopped|
|200 g||Dark muscovado sugar|
|750 g||Dried fruit, mixed (Main)|
|1||Orange, finely grated rind only|
|1||Lemon, finely grated rind only|
|⅓ cup||Orange juice|
|⅓ cup||Kirsch, or other liqueur (Main)|
|3 large||Eggs, lightly beaten|
|200 g||High grade flour|
|½ tsp||Baking powder|
|1 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|1 tsp||Mixed spice|
|70 g||Ground almonds|
|¼ cup||Kirsch, or other liqueur, extra, for drizzling over cooked cake|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Place the first 7 ingredients a large heavy saucepan and slowly bring to the boil, stirring until the butter is melted. Poach for 10 minutes. Cool. This can be prepared a day ahead.
- Preheat the oven to 150C. Lightly grease and line a heavy 20cm round cake pan with baking paper.
- Stir the eggs into the cold fruit mixture. Sift in the flour, baking powder and spices together. Stir in the ground almonds.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a wet hand. Bake for 1¾ hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Using a fine skewer, make holes over the warm cake. Drizzle with the extra liqueur. Cool in the pan. Wrap in foil and store in a cool place.