Gable Tostee's acquittal over the balcony fall death of Wellington woman Warriena Wright was almost scuttled by his own defence team.

The Gold Coast man's lawyers had asked for the jury to be dismissed today after it emerged one juror had been posting about the case on Instagram.

By that point, the jury had already reached their verdict. But they were yet to deliver it while the court heard legal arguments over the juror's actions.

In the end, Justice John Byrne decided against dismissing the Brisbane Supreme Court jury of six men and six women.


That decision worked out in Tostee's favour - the jury gave not guilty verdicts to the charges of murder and manslaughter.

It was only after the verdict that Justice Byrne informed the jury an investigation had been launched when a female member of the jury posted to her Instagram account.

"That juror will discover when she accesses her Instagram account that many members of the public have commented on her decision to communicate," Justice Byrne told the jury.

Tostee and Wright's families were both in tears following the verdict.

Wright's family embraced in the courtroom.

Tostee also embraced his family and shook hands with his legal team.

The jurors have been deliberating since early Monday afternoon on whether Tostee murdered Wright in August 2014.

Tostee and Wright had connected on dating app Tinder and hours after they met in person Wright died after plunging from Tostee's 14th floor apartment balcony.


Tostee pleaded not guilty to murder.

Tostee and his lawyer appeared before media in front of the courthouse.

Tostee said nothing but his lawyer said his client was "looking forward to getting on with his life".

"He thanks all those people who have supported him through this. He's looking forward to putting all this behind him and considering his future from here."

Tostee was at his lawyer's side, but did not say anything.

Warriena Wright's family speak

Gable Tostee. Photo / News Corp
Gable Tostee. Photo / News Corp

A spokeswoman for Wright's family has told media outside the court the case had been "incredibly dramatic for everyone involved ... let alone the families".

"They are still coming to terms with the loss of their daughter and sister. They've been quite overwhelmed by the media, which has added to their distress."

They thanked the police and agencies involved in the investigation and trial, before asking for privacy.

"So they have an opportunity to pull the pieces of their life back together again and have the space to grieve and breathe."

An investigating officer in the case has also spoken to media following Tostee's acquittal.

He praised the Wright family for the "strength and courage they have shown during these proceedings".

The case was "not a conventional prosecution" and he acknowledged the work of many people, including the homicide squad.

Wright's death would now be referred to the state coroner, he said.


A 9 News reporter in the courtroom at the time of the verdict said Tostee put his head in his hands upon hearing he had been found not guilty.

"He was sitting quite still and the room was absolutely silent. There was so much tension there at the time."

The reporter said Wright's family "moved over to one side of the courtroom" following the verdict.

"They were all embracing, they were comforted by detectives."

Tostee's family were ushered away, the reporter said.

Earlier, protesters had gathered outside court yelling "stop violence against women".

Awaiting the verdict

Warriena Wright. Photo / Supplied
Warriena Wright. Photo / Supplied

The jury returned to court at 5.30pm.

Just after 3pm New Zealand time Tostee, his legal team and supporters, police, the family and friends of his alleged victim and the trial judge all reconvened in the Brisbane Supreme Court.

The Tostee jury entered its fourth day of deliberations today.

There were few clues as to what the 12 ordinary members of the public selected to hear the case had been grappling with.

On Tuesday, they told Justice John Byrne they were unable to reach a unanimous verdict, however, he sent them back to the jury room to continue deliberations in a bid to do so.

"Experience has shown juries can often agree if given enough time to consider and discuss the issues," he told them.

Jurors deliberated for an extra 90 minutes late yesterday but at 6pm asked to be sent home and will resume discussions this morning.

They have asked six questions since they began their deliberations on Monday