Last night the business community celebrated the best in finance at the Institute of Finance Professionals New Zealand (INFINZ) Awards held at Auckland's Langham Hotel.
Rod Duke, managing director of Briscoe Group, won the supreme Caldwell Partners Leadership Award for his contribution to the retail chain.
Duke acquired Briscoe in 1990 and later established sports chain Rebel Sport. The company was listed on the New Zealand stock exchange in 2001.
The judges acknowledged the company had consistently performed well, despite operating in a tough sector. It is now the largest capitalised retailer on the NZX.
INFINZ executive director Jim McElwain said the Awards were dedicated to raising the standards in the financial and capital markets.
"By highlighting the outstanding participants in our industry, we hope to raise standards across the entire market place,"McElwain said. "Our focus is on those actions and individuals who have added most value to corporate New Zealand and hence the economy."
Three fellowships, one distinguished fellowship and 14 awards were presented.
Other winners included AMP Capital Investors who won Massey Business School's Fund Manager of the Year award, Nikko Asset Management won Chapman Tripp's Fund Manager of the Year for equities and First NZ Capital won Milford Asset Management's Sharebroking Firm of the Year award.
Richard Milsom, principal at Elevation Capital Management, won the University of Auckland Business School's award for emerging leaders. Judges said he was selected for his leadership qualities, energy and overall work ethic.
First NZ Capital's Arie Dekker won AUT Business School's Research Analyst of the Year Award.
List of winners
• Caldwell Partners - Leadership Award - Rod Duke, Briscoe Group
• University of Auckland Business School - Emerging Leader - Richard Milsom, Elevation Capital Management
• Craigs Investment Partners - Excellence in Treasury - Fletcher Building
• AUT Business School - Research Analyst of the Year - Arie Dekker, First NZ Capital
• EY - Debt Deal of the Year - Christchurch Adventure Park Funding
• Chapman Tripp - M&A Transaction of the Year - Z Energy's acquisition of Chevron NZ
• Milford Asset Management - Sharebroking Firm of the Year - First NZ Capital
• PwC - NZ Equity Market Transaction of the Year - Investore Property $185 million Initial Public Offering
• Chapman Tripp - Fund Manager of the Year - Equities - Nikko Asset Management
• Trustees Executors - NZ Debt Market Issue of the Year - Auckland International Airport $225 million seven year fixed rate bonds
• Massey Business School - Fund Manager of the Year - Bonds - AMP Capital Investors
• The Business - Institutional Banking Innovation Award - ANZ - Liquidity Management Solution
• NZX - Emerging Leaders Best Corporate Communicator - Pushpay Holdings
• First NZ Capital - Market Leaders Best Corporate Communicator - Z Energy
• Distinguished Fellow - Rob Cameron
• Fellows - Mary-Jane Daly, Scott St John, Maree Webster