Preserved autumn fruits
• 3-4 kg fruit, peeled (optional) and stones removed
• 1 lemon
• 1.2 litres water
• 2 cups sugar
• Jars for bottling
1. If fruit needs peeling, plunge into boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove and cool in cold water before peeling. Place in water with a squeeze of lemon to stop them from browning. (For plums this is not necessary.)
2. Place water and sugar in a large pot and bring to a simmer to dissolve sugar. Add fruit and poach for 10-15 minutes until tender, but not mushy.
3. Sterilise jars before filling with fruit. Bottle while hot.
4. Store in a cool place ready for use.