Do it yourself gifts
Who? The New Zealand Fashion Museum in conjunction with the K Rd Christmas Fiesta.
What? A free creative workshop, led by textile artist Susan Holmes, in which you will learn simple printing techniques and make a piece with supplied materials.
"We had such a lovely response to Susan Holmes' print work in the Age of Aquarius exhibition that we persuaded her to come and show us how to print. It is incredibly easy to do and not nearly as messy as screen printing and much more flexible," explains NZ Fashion Museum's curator Doris de Pont.
When? Saturday December 14, 10am and 2pm.
Where? Bread and Butter Letter, 225 K Rd. Limited spaces available - book your spot by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why? Get creative for a thoughtful Christmas gift.
• Other events in the K Rd Christmas Fiesta include corset-fitting workshops and Day of the Dead face painting. For the full list see kroad.com.
Eye of the tiger
Here's a wee preview of the Kenzo range of footwear, which is being stocked at Newmarket footwear store Runway next year - but available to purchase now by early birds.
As well as these luxe satin slippers - covered in the popular Kenzo tiger motif - there are also fun patent lightning bolt combat boots and sneakers. Kenzo satin slipper, $590, from Runway. Ph (09) 522 0808.
Heal the world
World gets charitable this Christmas, in their second collaboration with The Village Project. All profits from the sale of their "Love" cup - handcrafted on Waiheke - go towards rain-harvesting initiatives in Uganda.
The cups are available at World stores and at thevillageproject.org.nz/store. World is also helping the SPCA out this season, offering Christmas gift-wrapping for a gold coin donation, to go towards the charity.
Perfect your pout
This slimline wooden lip palette has us smitten with its pretty colours and daily dose of inspiration. Stila Limited Edition Portrait of a Perfect Lip palette in Vibrant, $32, from Mecca Cosmetica. See meccacosmetica.co.nz.
Welcome to the neighbourhood
Local brand Lennox has just opened a new store at Three Lamps in Ponsonby. Visit the store and purchase something before Christmas and you will go into the draw to win a $500 Lennox wardrobe. Find the store at 279 Ponsonby Rd, and shop the fun summer collection.
Subtitute the usual junk-filled Christmas crackers with one of these enticing versions:
• MOR Beauty with a Bang cracker, ($16.99, morcosmetics.com.au), contains a 50ml lychee flower or marshmallow hand cream.
• Pure Fiji Christmas cracker (pictured, $20, from aboutface.co.nz) contains a 30ml guava body lotion and body butter, 15ml body mist and a little lip balm.
• Jo Malone Christmas cracker, ($85, ph 0800 JOMSHOP) contains a 15ml grapefruit body cream, a lime, basil and mandarin hand wash and 9ml blackberry and bay fragrance.
Bing, Harris & Co is branching out into womenswear, with the first range in store now. With a focus on casual basics and denim, we especially like this floral printed chambray shirt, $69.95. Available from Bing, Harris & Co stores and online at bingharris.co.nz.
Out of town
Stop by these pop-ups:
• Wellington's Salvation Army Boutique - a stylish second-hand store - is holding an Everything Party this Saturday with a pop-up cafe. The free event is serving up cake, coffee and punch and giving away a $200 gift voucher. All proceeds go to 614 Youth Services. Details at fb.com/salvationarmyboutique.
• Online store Jonty Apparel is popping up in Invercargill. Find them at 49 Dee St until December
24, 10am-5pm daily. See jontyapparel.com.