NRL: Kieran Foran reportedly gambled away $75,000

Parramatta Eels playmaker Kieran Foran. Photo / Getty
Parramatta Eels playmaker Kieran Foran. Photo / Getty

Troubled Parramatta star Kieran Foran's return to rugby league is being overshadowed by reports $75,000 was lost from his TAB account during a gambling binge.

The Daily Telegraph says the money was bet on the greyhounds and some gallops in South Africa in a two-hour spree hours after Foran returned to Sydney from a three-day stint at a Queensland rehabilitation centre.

But it is unclear who placed the bets, and both Foran and his manager were unavailable for comment, the Telegraph said.

Foran was back at training on Friday and had been expected to suit up against Melbourne at Pirtek Stadium on Monday.

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur on Friday confirmed five-eighth Foran will return for the Monday night clash with Melbourne at Pirtek Stadium.

Foran has spent the past three weeks in rehabilitation after being granted personal leave by the NRL club, but will train with the team on Friday morning and play on Monday before returning to the interstate clinic.

"His doctor thinks that what is best for him now is to get back into playing football," Arthur told Sky Sports Radio's Big Sports Breakfast.

"He's going to need some ongoing treatment. He will go back on Tuesday and then we'll go into the Newcastle game and then we've got a bye.

"So that should give him a fair bit of time to continue his treatment."

Arthur also said he was not concerned about a lack of training for the former New Zealand captain, suggesting he was no different to any player coming back from an injury.

Brad Takairangi will shift back to centre for the match, which is bordering on must-win for the Eels given they have provisionally lost 12 points as a penalty for salary cap breaches.

The fallout from those breaches is a long way from over, with $500,000 in third-party agreements guaranteed by the Eels for 2017 reportedly set to be included in next year's cap.

In a development certain to cruel any hopes by the Eels of bringing Jarryd Hayne back to the club in the short term, they will have only $6.6 million at their disposal in 2017 according to Fairfax Media.

Despite the salary cap rising from $6.8 million to $7.1 million next season, it was reported earlier in the week that Parramatta's indiscretions in recent seasons meant they would have $500,000 less than rival clubs in 2017 to outlay on players.

The Eels shed Nathan Peats and Ryan Morgan this year which, in addition to the retirement of Anthony Watmough, allowed them to get back under the cap and compete again for premiership points. Fairfax said it understands third-party arrangements with Kieran Foran, Michael Jennings, Semi Radradra, Beau Scott and Watmough will all be included in next year's salary cap.

If Corey Norman is successful in negotiating the $850,000-a-season deal he is asking for, it is estimated the club will have close to $3.6 million tied up in five players (Foran, Jennings, Scott, Radradra and Norman) leaving just $3 million to spend on the remaining 20 players in the top 25 squad.

- AAP with news.com.au

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 19 Jan 2017 22:48:22 Processing Time: 621ms