A machete-wielding man was shot in Rotorua this afternoon by New Zealand police, the 32nd person to be shot by police since 1941.
Police shot the man on Te Ngae Rd around 1pm.
Unconfirmed reports say the man was "smashing up" a police car before the shooting and had possibly injured a police officer.
It comes as the second shooting carried out by police this week, after 36-year-old Nick Marshall was shot dead in Hamilton on Tuesday.
Police shootings since 2000:
• July 12, 2016:
Nicholas Nelson Marshall, 36, shot during the execution of a pre-planned search warrant at a property in Grasslands Road.
• June 11, 2016: Mike Taylor, 57, was fatally shot by police at his property on County Rd, in the Karangahake Gorge.
• September 8, 2015:
Pera Ariki Smiler, 25, shot dead outside McDonald's in Upper Hutt.
• August 2, 2015: David Cerven, 21, was shot dead in Myers Park, Auckland.
• May 3, 2015: Vaughan William John Te Moananui, 33, shot after he refused to surrender to police, and pulled out a gun in Thames.
• July 7, 2013: Caleb Henry, 20, shot on Auckland's Northern Motorway after committing a home invasion in Opotiki.
• June 8, 2013:
Adam Te Rata Charles Morehu, 33, shot and killed after shots fired at police at New Plymouth Golf Club.
• July 15, 2011: Anthony Ratahi, 46, shot and killed as he struggled with police dog after a siege in Opunake, 65km south of New Plymouth.
• March 28, 2011: Lachan Kelly-Tumarae, 19, shot four times after a police chase in Omahu, near Hastings.
• June 28, 2009: Shayne Sime, 42, shot dead after two-hour standoff in Christchurch.
• January 23, 2009:
Halatau Naitoko, 17 - an innocent bystander - shot dead on Auckland's Northwestern Motorway after getting caught in crossfire as police shot at aggravated robber Stephen Hohepa McDonald, 50
• October 23, 2008: Lee Jane Mettam, 37, fatally shot after she threatened to kill staff of a Vodafone store in Whangarei and aimed her rifle at police.
• September 26, 2007: Stephen Bellingham, 37, shot dead in Christchurch after smashing cars and car windows with a claw hammer.
• August 14, 2004: Haidar Ebbadi Mahdi, 37, died from bullet to head as he stabbed wife being held in headlock in South Auckland house.
• April 30, 2000: Steven Wallace, 23, of Waitara, shot after window-smashing spree in the town.