Two of three fugitives hunted by police in a remote mountain range appeared in court this morning.

Parole abscondees Ivan Andrew Campbell, 47, a convicted paedophile, Jaydon Galland, 18, and their alleged helper Jamie Campbell, 25, were cornered by a police search team in Arthur's Pass National Park and arrested around midday yesterday.

The group had been on the run for six days.

Police, who warned the public not to approach the men, used specialist search teams, sniffer dogs, and helicopters to track them down.


They found two abandoned cars which police believed they used to flee Christchurch and hide in the hills, camping in a six-man tent.

When they were eventually caught yesterday at the popular hunting and tramping area, they put up no fight, police said.

They were taken to Christchurch and held in custody overnight.

This morning, Galland and Jamie Campbell appeared from custody at Christchurch District Court.

A police spokesman said Ivan Campbell was arrested on a parole recall warrant and was taken directly back to Christchurch Mens' Prison yesterday.

He did not appear in court today and police are continuing to look at evidence gathered during their probe to see if any further criminal charges will be laid.

When Galland appeared in court accused of breaching community detention conditions, it emerged that he also faces 23 other charges; including theft of a knife from Salisbury Foundation, unlawful taking of a motor vehicle, careless driving, driving while banned, wilful damage, assaulting police, drug possession, and threatening behaviour.

Duty solicitor Lee-Lee Heah did not seek bail, which was opposed by Probation Services.

Galland was remanded in custody without plea for a week while he applies for legal aid.

Jamie Campbell, a 25-year old factoryhand from Christchurch, who police say also goes by Alexander Paul Jones, was granted bail.

He was charged with helping both men abscond from Christchurch residential facility, the Salisbury Foundation, last Wednesday, and fraudulently using a Z fuel card the same day.

Judge Brian Callaghan granted Campbell bail, on conditions he lives at a New Brighton address with a night curfew and reports to the local police station twice a week.