Man vomits up $7000 of meth

By Tessa Johnstone -
The man regurgitated - then tried to re-swallow - a snaplock bag full of methamphetamine, according to police. Photo / file
The man regurgitated - then tried to re-swallow - a snaplock bag full of methamphetamine, according to police. Photo / file

A man arrested for carrying drug utensils surprised police by vomiting up a snaplock bag of white powder, thought to be $7000 worth of methamphetamine.

Police officers stopped the 38-year-old man as he drove through Greytown in Wairarapa about 9.30pm on Saturday.

Masterton Senior Sergeant Brent Murray said the man's car was known to police, and when officers pulled it over the driver took off. "The driver ran off, and he was located behind buildings a short distance away and arrested."

Officers then searched the car and found cannabis oil and drug paraphernalia, including a pipe, and took the man back to Masterton police station.

Police say he was in the receiving room when he regurgitated a plastic bag of white powder.

"For whatever reason he brought it up. During the arrest he tried to swallow the bag and then he regurgitated the item," Mr Murray said. The man had swallowed 7g of powder, which police believe to be methamphetamine, double-bagged inside two snaplock sandwich bags.

The powder, and other drug paraphernalia, has been sent away for testing.

Mr Murray said 1g methamphetamine had a street value of about $800 to $1200.

"It was sufficient that we've charged him with possession for supply, it was reasonably large," he said.

The man has also been charged with possession of cannabis and other charges may follow.

Mr Murray said the known gang member was based in Waikato but was formerly from the Hutt Valley, and may have been going to a Mongrel Mob convention in Porirua.

Alcohol and drug clinic medical officer Richard McGrath said swallowing that amount of methamphetamine was certainly dangerous, but it was unlikely to have killed the man had it leaked.

"It would just be a huge dose, but I'm not sure if he would die. It would have a huge stimulant effect, but if he had a medical problem like heart disease it could tip him over the edge."

Mr McGrath said the plastic bags could have blocked the small intestine.

The man appeared in court yesterday and was remanded in custody until later this week.

For more articles from this region, go to

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a2 at 19 Sep 2014 11:54:38 Processing Time: 693ms