The Pentagon shifted its approach to survivors after a controversial decision made in the midst of the first attack on September 2, which left two men clinging to the wreckage following a guided bomb strike that killed nine fellow crew members. The strike commander, Navy Admiral Frank M. Bradley, ordered a second attack on the survivors, a decision that some lawmakers and international law efforts decried as a war crime.
Protocols were later changed to emphasise rescuing suspected smugglers if they survived strikes, though it remains unclear who directed the change in protocol and when exactly it took shape, The Post previously reported.
The Trump administration has said the people operating the vessels are “narco terrorists” without providing evidence they are tied to the cartels the US is targeting, or identifying the men killed.
In a statement posted to social media Tuesday, US Southern Command said the three vessels were “operated by Designated Terrorist Organisations” and that it had intelligence to confirm “the vessels were transiting along known narco-trafficking routes and were engaged in narco-trafficking operations”.
One of the three strikes announced by Southern Command was in the Caribbean, which has seen few targets of late, despite the White House and Pentagon efforts to tie the scourge of drug trafficking to Venezuela and Maduro. Two of the strikes were in the Eastern Pacific, which officials have said is by far the most common maritime smuggling corridor – beginning in Colombia and Ecuador.
Monday’s strike, and one other on February 13, were the first announced strikes in the Caribbean since November.
The uptick in strikes has also coincided with the arrival of Marine General Francis Donovan as the new head of US Southern Command, following the departure of Rear Admiral Alvin Holsey, who left the typically three-year post after just a year in part because of differences with Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth over the boat strike campaign.
Sign up to Herald Premium Editor’s Picks, delivered straight to your inbox every Friday. Editor-in-Chief Murray Kirkness picks the week’s best features, interviews and investigations. Sign up for Herald Premium here.