A man has been arrested over a brutal sex assault on a new mum after detectives offered a A$500,000 reward to help catch her attacker.
The arrest comes just days after the victim, named Chloe, took the courageous step of revealing her identity in a bid to help police catch her attacker.
It's only the second time the force has offered such a large reward for what detectives said was one of the most severe sex attacks they'd ever seen, the Herald Sun reports.
Chloe was walking home from a night out with friends in the city when she was stalked for about 1km early on June 30, 2013.
A man dressed in dark clothing approached the then 22-year-old and tried to strike up a conversation on King St, following her past the Witches in Britches theatre restaurant and into North Melbourne.
As Chloe passed Browns Lane the man grabbed her in a bear hug, dragged her down the laneway and knocked her to the ground.
She was repeatedly punched, kicked and sexually assaulted.
Victoria Police said in a statement that detectives from the Sexual Crimes Squad had arrested a man as part of their investigation into an alleged sexual assault in North Melbourne in 2013.
"A 34-year-old Reservoir man was arrested in Reservoir just after 1pm," the force said.
"He is currently in custody, assisting police with their enquiries.
"A 37-year-old woman was also arrested at the property. She is expected to be interviewed in relation to perjury and false alibi offences."
Earlier this month a A$500,000 reward was announced for information in relation to the incident, which is alleged to have occurred on 30 June, 2013.