A body has been discovered inside of submerged car belonging to a Kansas woman who went missing in January after sending a text saying she had been pulled over, police said.

Police had initially denied the woman was pulled over, but have admitted she was stopped by a North Kansas City officer that night, according to the Daily Mail.

The 2014 Ford Focus that was pulled out of the Missouri River on Friday has been confirmed to belong to 20-year-old Toni Anderson from Wichita.

Investigators found the vehicle near the woman's last known location on her cellphone.


Kansas City Police Captain Stacey Graves confirmed the findings but authorities have not yet formally identified the body.

"We just got the news, there's a body in her car," the woman's mother Liz Anderson told the Kansas City Star, sobbing. "There is somebody inside."

Anderson's family had hired private investigators who used sonar to find the car.

The vehicle was found a few feet off a bank in Platte Landing Park, but her mother cannot understand how her daughter, who was last seen driving home from work in Kansas City, could have got there.

Police have not suspected any foul play and the body will be taken to the medical examiner's office to determine a cause of death.

Anderson was last seen in the early hours of January 15 at a QuikTrip gas station over on 9-Highway, in Kansas City.

The young college student had been driving to meet with friends downtown after leaving her job at Chrome entertainment bar on 40-Highway around 4am.

Moments later, she disappeared, her car GPS failed and her cellphone "went dark".

The officer stopped her for an improper lane change, but gave her a warning. Photo / Fox 4
The officer stopped her for an improper lane change, but gave her a warning. Photo / Fox 4

Anderson, who went by the name Vanity, had been stopped by a North Kansas City police officer who pulled her car over on 9-Highway near the QuikTrip gas station.

Text messages show Anderson had messaged her friend Roxanne Townsend at 4.42am saying: "Omg I just got pulled over again." Townsend said her friend 'got pulled over all the time."

Police said the woman had been stopped for an improper lane change, but was let off with a warning after she told the officer she was running low on gas.

Anderson's ATM card was used and her GPS system in car stopped working shortly after she arrived at the QuikTrip.

It's unclear if the system malfunctioned or if someone tampered with it.

Authorities also have surveillance footage of the woman, but are not releasing it as it is part of their investigation.