A New Zealand man faces the prospect of being deported after locking himself in the toilet of a London restaurant and allegedly abusing a waitress and assaulting a waiter.

The Daily Mail reported that New Zealand-born Ibrail Khan, 32, from Twickenham, London, allegedly became abusive when asked to settle the bill at Port House tapas restaurant on the Strand in central London last Thursday.

Khan is on a working holiday visa until next year.

He arrived with the woman at around 9pm and ordered drinks and three tapas dishes, but she left after just 45 minutes - prompting Khan to lock himself in the restaurant's bathroom for 30 minutes.


Westminster Magistrates' Court heard when waitress Laura Sanz asked him to leave the bathroom and settle the bill Khan then began shouting racist abuse at her.

It is claimed he shouted: "You pay for your drinks, I'll pay for mine" and called her a "f***ing Spanish girl".

He then left the stall and began allegedly taking pictures of Ms Sanz on his mobile phone shouting "look how fat you are, you must be pregnant, how many babies do you have in there? At least three."

Prosecutor Edward Aydin said: "Mr Khan then started touching Ms Sanz's stomach.

"When her colleague, waiter Scott Gosnell tried to intervene, he said Khan allegedly shoved him in the chest and threatened to kill him."

He then shouted, "The Spanish are the weakest f***ers on earth", the court heard.

The court heard Khan continued to act in a threatening and abusive manner for over an hour while staff waited for police to arrive.

When he was arrested he told police officers "I only had two drinks, I didn't swear at anybody" before allegedly calling them "f***ing idiots".

Appearing via video link from Charing Cross police station, Khan denied one count of racially aggravated common assault in relation to Ms Katz, an alternative lesser charge of assault.

He also denied assaulting Mr Gosnell and obtaining services dishonestly in relation to the meal.

Listing the case for trial on June 13 at City of London Magistrates' Court, Magistrate Emma Stranack granted him bail on the condition he does not contact either Ms Sanz or Mr Gosnell or enter the Porter House restaurant.