Man stabbed, tasered

A man is in a critical condition in hospital after being stabbed in Sydney's southwest then tasered by responding police, prompting a critical incident investigation. Officers were called to a Canley Vale flat to find the man suffering wounds and a woman with minor lacerations. Police said officers deployed a Taser after the man allegedly advanced towards them armed with a knife, and in the ensuing struggle an officer sustained a wound to his hand. The man was arrested after a further confrontation with police on the street. He was taken to Liverpool Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery and remains in a critical but stable condition. The police officer and the woman were also treated in hospital.

Roadrunner nears end
The Australian ultra-marathoner who has become a modern-day Forrest Gump is about to end his 64-day quest to run from one end of India to the other. Running great and former federal MP Pat Farmer finishes his 4400km trek from the southern point of India to the northern border when he arrives in Srinagar this afternoon. Farmer has averaged more than 80km per day in his quest to raise money, awareness and hope for disadvantaged girls' education. He was hospitalised and put on an IV drip after suffering severe dehydration and heat stress on just the second day of "The Spirit of India" adventure but has battled through stomach cramps, sore hips and swollen feet. As many as up to 200 locals have run with him at a time. Farmer - who has run through the Middle East and Antarctica - says the contrasts in the weather, terrain and people in India, not to mention "the sensory overload", has made it the most memorable trek he's ever made. The 54-year-old is on his fifth pair of shoes.

Inquest resumes
Hostage Jarrod Morton-Hoffman is expected to spend a day detailing what he saw and experienced inside the Lindt Cafe siege as the two-month-long inquest into the December 2014 tragedy resumes. The inquest into the siege, which left hostages Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson and gunman Man Haron Monis dead, will resume today after breaking over Easter, with Morton-Hoffman to give evidence first before fellow survivor Fiona Ma takes to the witness box. During last week's opening the inquest heard details of what Monis is believed to have said to Johnson, the Lindt Cafe manager, before killing him.


Family violence inquiry reports
Australia's first inquiry into family violence will deliver its findings to the Victorian Government two years after the death of Luke Batty shocked the community and spurred his mother to campaign for reform. The Victorian Royal Commission into Family Violence is due to deliver its findings to the state government today. The royal commission was a 2014 election promise by Premier Daniel Andrews, following the death of 11-year-old Luke Batty earlier that year. The primary school student was murdered by his father at cricket training, a tragedy that spurred his mother, Rosie, to campaign against domestic violence and push for reform.