The father of New Zealand triplets killed in a Doha mall fire nearly four years ago is welcoming the latest move to retry five people acquitted of their deaths.

Just two months after the owners of Gympanzee daycare, the Villaggio Mall's chairman and manager and a municipal employee had their voluntary manslaughter guilty verdicts overturned, the Qatar Attorney General has stepped in and ordered a fresh trial.

The 2012 Doha mall fire claimed 19 lives, including 2-year-old Lillie, Jackson and Willsher Weekes who were in the daycare centre when the fire broke out.

Five people were found guilty of voluntary manslaughter, then acquitted last year.


That decision has now been overturned by the country's Court of Cassation and all five will return to court to be retried on the manslaughter charges.

Dad Martin Weekes today told the New Zealand Herald it was a relief to learn the verdict had been overturned.

"It's also a relief that it's happened so quickly because previously things have taken so long through the court system in Qatar. The appeal case dragged on for two years. This overruling came within two months of it being requested by the Qatar Attorney General so that's been really quick."

He praised the support shown by the country's Attorney General to try and make sure that justice was served.

Mr Weekes said he and his wife Jane would not attend the court case. Instead he would have legal representation to keep them abreast of developments.

"We won't travel there because we are not entitled to speak and the hearing is all in Arabic. And given the fact that the defendants last year didn't turn up for half the hearing and it's just not worth going over," he said.

At this stage Mr Weekes did not know when the new trial would take place.

He said it was one step closer in getting justice for their dead children.

"We're just really grateful for the support we get from people in New Zealand wanting Lillie, Jackson and Willsher to actually get justice. The support's been lovely and great," he said.