Companies peddling faulty hoverboards could be hit with $20,000 fines as Victorian authorities crack down on the industry following a destructive house fire.

A family of five was forced to flee their Strathmore home on Monday after a hoverboard bought for Christmas sparked a blaze just 10 minutes after it was plugged in.

The toy's battery exploded while it was charging in a bedroom and fire quickly spread through the home, which will need to be bulldozed.

Ash Ibraheim fled with his four daughters and pets after trying to extinguish the blaze with a bucket of water.


"In the panic of it all, I slipped, fell on my back. And then by the time I sort of came to stand up there was an explosion and I just sort of scrambled and ran out," he told reporters.


Hoverboard controversy after fire in Australia

Energy Safe Victoria said the hoverboard model did not comply with national safety standards.

Inspectors will start visiting toy stores around the state today, making sure they're selling safe models that haven't been recalled, and online distributors will be monitored.

Non-compliant products will be seized, with individuals doing the wrong thing facing fines of $4000 and companies $20,000.

Victorian consumer affairs minister Jane Garrett has written to her federal counterpart Kelly O'Dwyer, asking her to consider a national ban on hoverboards.

Ms Garrett will also contact major toy retailers and peak industry bodies to remind them of their responsibilities.

"These toys are very popular but they are also dangerous and could have devastating consequences if they are dodgy or aren't used properly," she said on Wednesday.

"I have instructed Consumer Affairs Victoria to conduct an immediate blitz across the state to make sure we don't have a tragedy."