Jailed paedophile Rolf Harris has been refused permission to appeal his convictions for sexually assaulting four girls in England, although the former children's entertainer can still ask the court to revisit the issue.

Harris's application was refused by a single Court of Appeal judge looking at written submissions only.

"In this case the single judge refused permission to appeal," a Judiciary Office spokesman told AAP on Friday.

However, now that both sides have been notified, Harris can - if he chooses - make a renewal application asking the court to reconsider the decision.


If he does that the application would automatically go to hearing before three judges who would decide whether to allow an appeal.

Slater & Gordon abuse lawyer Liz Dux, who represents Harris's victims, says they'll be "very relieved" by the single judge's decision.

"They have already been through the horrific ordeal of a long and extremely stressful trial," Ms Dux said on Friday.

"They want this over so they can get on with their lives as best they can - although for some the damage Harris has done will sadly be irreparable.

"We must not forget the very serious nature of the crimes Harris committed.

"Justice has rightly been done and the victims will be pleased at the outcome."

Comment was being sought from Harris's solicitors Kingsley Napley.

The 84-year-old was sentenced in July to five years and nine months' jail for indecently assaulting four girls in Britain between 1968 and 1986.


However he's expected to serve less than three years behind bars.

During his lengthy trial another six women gave supporting evidence that Harris abused them in Australia, New Zealand and Malta between 1969 and 1991.

Harris wasn't charged over those alleged incidents because they occurred outside the UK.

Three weeks ago a British newspaper reported Harris could face fresh charges as a result of more than 10 new victims claiming they were abused by the disgraced artist and singer.

It was claimed Operation Yewtree officers were looking at the British cases while any assaults that took place in Australia or New Zealand would be handled by local police.

The Metropolitan police have refused to comment on the possibility of further charges being laid.