French police captured one of two detainees who escaped using bed sheets and saw blades. Photo / Arnaud Finistre, AFP
French police captured one of two detainees who escaped using bed sheets and saw blades. Photo / Arnaud Finistre, AFP
French police on Friday caught one of two detainees who used bed sheets to escape from prison a day earlier after sawing through their cell bars, with investigators suspecting a drone delivered them the jagged blades.
The fugitive was sitting in a village bar drinking coffee in the area ofBey when elite police officers swooped, sources with knowledge of the matter told AFP, asking to remain unnamed because they were not allowed to talk to the press.
France has some of the worst prison overcrowding in Europe, and staff unions have complained the state is neglecting normal jails as it moves narco criminals into new high-security prisons.
The man was arrested south of Dijon, where the jailbreak occurred, said the eastern city’s prosecutor, Olivier Caracotch.
He said the person caught was thought to be the older of the pair, a 32-year-old man accused of violence against a partner.
That would mean a 19-year-old suspected of attempted murder in a drug-linked case was still on the run. Another prosecutor following his case said on Thursday he was suspected of having been recruited to settle a score in a feud linked to drug trafficking.
Caracotch said around 100 police officers were still looking for him.
Guards noticed the two men had fled on Thursday before dawn.
Authorities suspect drones delivered the blades used to cut cell bars; Dijon prison is overcrowded and in poor condition. Photo / Arnaud Finistre, AFP
The 32-year-old man had left a message in his cell, saying he had been held for “too long”, Caracotch has said. It was not immediately clear how long he had been held for.
Union official Ahmed Saih, who represents prison officers at the jail, told AFP on Thursday that the inmates used “old-fashioned, manual saw blades” and that several such blades had been found previously.
It was very likely the saws were delivered by drones, Caracotch said, adding that the Dijon court had recently sentenced an individual over drone deliveries to the same jail, “including of saw blades”.
Dijon prison, built in 1853, is in poor condition, with 311 inmates for 180 places, according to the justice ministry.
A prisoner released on Thursday told AFP he had been one of three in a cell, “two on bunk beds and one sleeping on the floor”.
The prison break came less than two weeks after another escape in the northwestern city of Rennes.
A 37-year-old convict, who had more than a year still to serve for theft, fled on November 14 during an outing with fellow prisoners to the city’s planetarium. He was caught in the nearby city of Nantes on Thursday.
Justice Minister Gerald Darmanin has sacked the Rennes prison’s director, causing outrage among unions.
Three prison directors’ unions on Wednesday lashed out at the tough-talking right-wing minister, who is pushing through a plan to lock up the most dangerous drug traffickers in “supermax” prisons.
They accused him of “devoting all the resources of a debt-ridden state” to the high-security prisons for those accused of drug trafficking and jihadist attacks, and neglecting the “vast majority” of other jails.