Saturday, 20 April 2024
KaitaiaWhangareiDargavilleAucklandThamesTaurangaHamiltonWhakataneRotoruaTokoroaTe KuitiTaumarunuiTaupoGisborneNew PlymouthNapierHastingsDannevirkeWhanganuiPalmerston NorthLevinParaparaumuMastertonWellingtonMotuekaNelsonBlenheimWestportReeftonKaikouraGreymouthHokitikaChristchurchAshburtonTimaruWanakaOamaruQueenstownDunedinGoreInvercargill
NZ HeraldThe Northern AdvocateThe Northland AgeThe AucklanderWaikato HeraldBay Of Plenty TimesRotorua Daily PostHawke's Bay TodayWhanganui ChronicleThe Stratford PressManawatu GuardianKapiti NewsHorowhenua ChronicleTe Awamutu CourierVivaEat WellOneRoofDRIVEN Car GuideThe CountryPhoto SalesiHeart RadioRestaurant Hub
Voyager 2023 media awards
Subscribe
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / World

Fiji: Flights cancelled as stormy weather sticks around

Herald on Sunday
By Teuila Fuatai, APNZ and Newstalk ZB
1 Apr, 2012 12:16 AM2 mins to read
Saveshare

Share this article

facebookcopy linktwitterlinkedinredditemail
Shop owners clean up Nadi town. Photo / Baljeet Singh

Shop owners clean up Nadi town. Photo / Baljeet Singh

Travel plans came to a standstill yesterday for people heading to Fiji, and there's little hope of stormy weather clearing in the next few days.

The main runway at Nadi International Airport was closed leaving travellers stranded in Fiji and disrupting the travel plans of at least 1000 in Auckland.

This morning Air Pacific confirmed that all inbound flights to the capital remained cancelled due to a request from Fiji's government that no additional passengers be flown into the country.

The airline said flights out of Nadi bound for Sydney, Brisbane and Auckland would depart this morning, however only passengers who were already checked in at the airport would be able to fly.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Air New Zealand said its scheduled flight out of Nadi this morning had also been cancelled.

Heavy rains on the west of the main island of Viti Levu caused rivers to burst their banks yesterday.

Two people have so far been confirmed dead and authorities are still trying to determine how many people are missing.

Officials said the rains were worse than the six-day deluge in January that claimed 11 lives.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Tutukaka resident Kate Malcolm was in Fiji for her sister's wedding when the storm hit. Malcolm told the Herald on Sunday a 800m stretch of road had been washed away and Navo Bridge been damaged.

The Dive Tutukaka manager is staying at the Intercontinental Resort and Spa with her daughter and partner, and said winds gusts reached between 40 to 60km/hr.

Malcolm said about 60 people had checked into the Intercontinental Hotel yesterday morning, after they had tried to reach Nadi airport and were turned back.

Her father, former Minister of Immigration Aussie Malcolm, had tried to leave Fiji yesterday. He told the Herald on Sunday he had flown by helicopter to Nadi airport hoping to get a flight out but found on arrival all flights leaving Fiji had been cancelled.

Related articles

New Zealand

Fiji floods: Tourists trapped, storm heads to NZ

01 Apr 06:22 PM

The hotel had begun to conserve water in preparation for resources running out. Malcolm said the running water had been shut off and all the restaurants apart from one had been closed.

Air Pacific advised affected passengers that they would be able to change their travel dates without fees and penalties as long as they did so by April 14. Those who wanted to cancel their travel plans to Fiji could request a full refund, the airline added.

Saveshare

Share this article

facebookcopy linktwitterlinkedinredditemail
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from World

World

Trump forced to listen silently to people insulting him in court

20 Apr 05:30 AM
World

8-year-old kills man while sleepwalking

20 Apr 03:39 AM
World

What you need to know about the world’s largest democratic election

20 Apr 12:36 AM
World

Man sets himself on fire outside Trump courthouse

Kids missing school to feed families

sponsored
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from World

Trump forced to listen silently to people insulting him in court

Trump forced to listen silently to people insulting him in court

20 Apr 05:30 AM

'He’s the object of derision. It's his nightmare. He can't control the script.'

8-year-old kills man while sleepwalking

8-year-old kills man while sleepwalking

20 Apr 03:39 AM
What you need to know about the world’s largest democratic election

What you need to know about the world’s largest democratic election

20 Apr 12:36 AM
Man sets himself on fire outside Trump courthouse

Man sets himself on fire outside Trump courthouse

Real NZ Mountains: The new ski season beckons
sponsored

Real NZ Mountains: The new ski season beckons

NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
Subscriber Services
  • NZ Herald e-editions
  • Daily puzzles & quizzes
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
  • Bundle subscriptions
NZME Network
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • What the Actual
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven CarGuide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2024 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP