A woman was taken to hospital after an unpleasant surprise on a United Airlines flight from San Francisco to Atlanta.

The passenger felt a sharp, stinging pain in her leg during the flight on Thursday morning.

Removing her clothing in the airplane toilet, to her horror, a large scorpion fell out of her trousers and tried to scuttle away.

When the incident was brought to the attention of flight staff, it was up to cabin crew to catch the crawly critter and provide medical assistance to the shocked passenger.

Advertisement

The captured scorpion was quickly caught and held in a United ticket box. A picture of which was shared with news website TMZ.

United confirmed that a passenger had been stung on the 1554 Atlanta service. Photo / Miguel Angel Sanz
United confirmed that a passenger had been stung on the 1554 Atlanta service. Photo / Miguel Angel Sanz

According to United the crew were able to consult a remote doctor for to treat the sting while the plane continued to Atlanta.

Responding to the claim United Airlines confirmed that a passenger had been stung on the 1554 flight to Atlanta, saying: "our crew responded immediately and consulted with a MedLink physician on the ground who provided medical guidance. Upon landing in Atlanta, the flight was met by medical personnel and the customer was transported to a local hospital. We have been in contact with our customer to ensure her wellbeing."

Scorpions have caused pain for both passengers and airlines as unwanted stowaways. Photo / Getty Images
Scorpions have caused pain for both passengers and airlines as unwanted stowaways. Photo / Getty Images

While it will provide little comfort to the stung passegner and crew, this is far from an isolated incident.

Earlier this year a scorpion was filmed emerging from an overhead luggage bin on a Lion Air flight.


In 2017 Richard Bell from Canada was stung on a United flight from Texas to Calgary.

The insect dropped onto Bell's head from the overhead lockers during an inflight meal.

Later in 2017, an EasyJet flight to Glasgow was delayed after a passenger spotted a similar stinging insect on the plane.

Advertisement