When you’re after a holiday with a difference, just any old five-star hotel won’t cut it. What you need is something with a punch of wow ...
1. Hapuku Lodge, Kaikoura, is one of the most unique and posh properties I've ever stayed in. It has rooms in the main lodge, but the piece de resistance are the five two-story suites in the trees. It's the perfect romantic escape. Each open plan room has a bathtub at one end and a fireplace at the other. Plus the manager is a Master Chef finalist so you know dinner will be great.
2. Treehotel,Sweden is a modern hotel in an Ikea kind of way created by some of Scandinavia's leading architects built on living trees. It's an eco concept (including combustion toilets) designed to make as little impact as possible on the surroundings with fab views over the Lule River valley, forest and the river. In winter you can take a trip from here to see the Northern Lights.
3. Treehouse Point, Washington State, USA is a cluster of tiny houses built like children's playhouses high in the trees accessed by stairs that you wouldn't want heavy luggage to drag. They're romantic, rustic and woodsy and the beds are handmade. They even hold treehouse building workshops if you want to try this at home.
4. Ariau Amazon Towers, , Brazil is one of the original tree houses. It has been housing guests in the jungle tops since the 1980s. Here you can walk the 10km of treetop canopy 20 metres high, eat in a circular dining room or take the honeymoon suite 30m up surrounded by monkeys, macaws, sloths, and birds.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
5. Tsala Treetop Lodge, South Africa is a luxury lodge built of wood and stone with fireplaces, private infinity pools and indoor/outdoor showers set high in the treetops. Watch the African sun set with glass of local wine entertained by the many birds - but watch out for the naughty monkeys. They'll steal your stuff!