Pack up the tent and the kids and head ... across town. We round up some unexpected campsites right here in Auckland.
1. Takapuna Beach Holiday Park, 22 The Promenade, Takapuna, ph (09) 489 7909
This campground is right on Takapuna Beach, overlooking the sea and boat ramp. With powered and non-powered sites, and cabins and caravans to rent, who needs to leave town?
2. Remuera Motor Lodge & Inner City Camping Ground, 16 Minto Rd, Remuera, ph 0508 244 244 or (09) 524 5126
A mere 5km from the city is 1.4ha of quiet park-like grounds containing both a motor lodge and camping ground with 50 caravan and 20 tent sites. Has a swimming pool and barbecue area.
3. Auckland North Shore Motels and Holiday Park, 52 Northcote Rd, Takapuna, ph 0508 909 090
Immaculate facilities for 40 tents or vans or 90 motel units in a tree-edged corner of Northcote. Cross the road to the Onewa Domain, the magical Smith's Bush, or play a round on the beautiful Takapuna Golf Course. Lounge around the indoor pool and spa, then send the kids next door for a pizza.
4. Avondale Motor Park, 46 Bollard Ave, Avondale, ph 0800 100 542 or (09) 828 7228
With tent sites from only $16 per person and good facilities, this is an easy hop along the motorway into the city, Eden Park or two blocks from the Avondale train station.
5. Orewa Beach Top 10 Holiday Park, 265 Hibiscus Coast Hwy, Orewa, ph 0800 673 921 or (09) 426 5832
This is camping as it used to be, just 35km north of Auckland. There are restaurants and cafes over the road, beaches north and south to explore, a boat ramp, kayaks to hire, and a children's playground and games room.