The New Zealand Paralympic team is being celebrated in Taranaki later this week.
The team will be in New Plymouth for a community event on September 26, and for a further two days for the Para Sport Pop Up.
The Para Sport Pop Up initiative is travelling around New Zealand in the lead-up to the Tokyo 2020 Paralympics, telling New Zealand's 50-year Paralympic history, increasing awareness of Para sport and influencing community perceptions of disabled people.
While it is a free event, donations to help support the New Zealand Paralympic team going to Tokyo in 2020 would be appreciated.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
There will be different 'have a go' Para sport activities including:
- Vertical jump test challenge to try and jump as high as a Paralympian.
- Handcycle challenge.
- Give wheelchair basketball a go.
- Blind football virtual reality experience.
- Get a photo with Someity the Tokyo 2020 mascot.
- Learn more about Para sport.
- Meet with Paralympians, Para athletes or local Para sport stakeholders.
- Leave messages of support for the NZ Paralympic Team.
- If all the 'have a go' challenges have been completed, participants can enter a draw to win wireless headphones from Harvey Norman.
■ The Para Sport Pop Up is at Puke Ariki Landing, opposite the i-Site centre in New Plymouth from 10am-4pm on Friday 27 and Saturday 28 September. Free entry.