After a tough win against Tukapa last weekend, the boys knew playing Spotswood, the undefeated defending champions on Streltham grounds, wasn't going to be a walk in the park.

The game started fast and stayed like that the majority of the match.

Spotswood dominated position and territory in the first half with some outstanding team defence and some individual brilliance from Armeen Jeftha showing no care for his own body on defence.


A nice penalty and two conversions by first five Chris Roberts and tough running Jonnie Palmer, giving him his second try in as many games meant Stratford/Eltham led 17-0 at the break.

Losing two key flankers in the first half and having eight players already out for the game the boys knew they would have to dig deep to get this one over the line.

The second half became an absolute battle with Streltham's defensive constantly frustrating a much bigger spotty dogs team.

Armeen finished off a good team try to finish with a brace and Chris tidied up his own miss-kicked grubber to steal a try under the posts adding another conversion and penalty to finish with 17 points. Final score 32-14.

The win was a huge team effort and massive result for the lads.

Division one: Central Tyres Matthew & Co division one hosted Spotswood for game two. The first 10 minutes Streltham had plenty of possession but were guilty of not looking after the ball resulting in a lot of unforced errors.

It wasn't long before Spotswood were able to capitalise and opened the scoring with a converted try in the fifteenth minute. Streltham responded swiftly from the restart receiving a penalty 35m out getting them on the score board thanks to Alex Patterson.

Streltham continued to improve as the game progressed with the forwards able to make some good metres, getting good clean ball, resulting in Mason Laing running in a try out wide in the 25th minute giving Streltham a slender 8-7 lead.


This lead was short lived with some poor tackles allowing Spotswood to run in two tries in three minutes. Streltham again responded perfectly from the restart with Kurt Patterson running in a good 50m try up the sideline to close the gap 19-13 to Spotswood at half time.

The second half was another slow start with both teams making a lot of unforced errors but it was Streltham who opened the second half scoring with Gary Old darting over for a try after some great forward work to get us close to the line.

With Streltham at 20 and Spotswood at 19, Spotswood responded instantly running in a converted try to take the lead 26-20. Spotswood again put the team under a lot of pressure defensively having the team defending their try line and after losing Stephen Dunham to the naughty chair in the 68th minute. While defending their line Streltham did well to only concede three points.

Streltham never gave up spending the last four minutes of the game hot on attack but couldn't get over the line.

Try Scorers Mason Laing, Kurt Patterson, Gary Old. Kicks: Alex Patterson 1 Penalty 1 Con Stand out players, Aaron Coutts, Ryan Merson, Stephen Dunham.