The New Zealand Herald was the dominant force at tonight's national sports journalism awards in Auckland.
Led by experienced journalists Wynne Gray, Dylan Cleaver, Dana Johannsen and Andrew Alderson, along with celebrated photographer Brett Phibbs, the Herald was the big winner on the night of the Sir Terry McLean awards dinner.
Gray, a veteran of more than 30 years in the sports media, was honoured by receiving the Sport New Zealand Lifetime Contribution to Sport through Journalism Award which was presented by the Minister for Sport, Jonathan Coleman.
Johannsen and Cleaver were double winners.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
As well as collecting the award for the best print and online sports news reporting, Johannsen was named the best sports columnist of the year.
Cleaver, the Herald's sports editor-at-large, won the award for the best sportswriting in the community, recreation and adventure fields and also the best sports feature of the year.
The winner of last year's Supreme Award, Cleaver was also a finalist along with Johannsen for the premier award won by Photosport photographer Andrew Cornaga, who also claimed the awards for best photography portfolio and best single photo. Cornaga was then announced as the Supreme Sports Journalist of the Year, the third time he has achieved the honour. His photo of Daniel Vettori taking a one-handed catch during the Cricket World Cup was considered the best of the year.
The Herald on Sunday's Alderson won the best single sport story of the year and Phibbs took the award for the best picture in community sports, recreational and adventure reporting.
The awards attracted more than 125 entries across all New Zealand media organisations.
TP McLean National Sports Journalism Awards winners
• Bankstream award for sports news reporting - print and online: Dana Johannsen (NZ Herald)
• Wilson award for best community sports/recreational/adventure reporting: Dylan Cleaver (NZ Herald)
• Bankstream award for sports column/opinion: Dana Johannsen (NZ Herald)
• CBL award for sports broadcast feature: Barbara Dreaver & Louisa Cleave (TVNZ)
• Wilson award for sports Broadcasting - radio: John Day (Radio Live)
• Sileni Wine Estates award for sports news reporting - television: Kimberlee Downs (TVNZ)
• NZME award for sports feature - print: Dylan Cleaver (NZ Herald)
• NZSJA award for best provincial/community journalist: Anendra Singh (Hawkes Bay Today)
• NZSJA award for sports photography: Andrew Cornaga (Photosport)
• Sport NZ award for community sports/recreational/adventure photography: Brett Phibbs (NZ Herald)
• New Zealand Herald DJ Cameron young journalist award: Patrick Dawkins (Marlborough Express)
• Gary Frew memorial award for contribution to provincial journalism: Andrew Love (Radio BOP Tauranga)
• CBL Insurance award for best single photo: Andrew Cornaga (Photosport)
• NZSJA award for best single story: Andrew Alderson (Herald on Sunday)
• CBL Insurance supreme sports journalist of the year: Andrew Cornaga (Photosport)
• Sport New Zealand lifetime contribution to sport through journalism award: Wynne Gray